The Ocean State is the smallest in area but the second most densely populated state in the nation. Higher population densities often lead to higher rates for car insurance. Because Rhode Island car insurance rates tend to be expensive, shopping around for the best deal is an investment in your bottom line.
A Trusted Choice® member agent will be happy to help you compare Rhode Island auto insurance quotes from multiple insurers. Your independent agent can also give advice to help you choose the right policy options and coverage levels.
Rhode Island Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,474
- Rhode Island average cost per year: $2,020
- 5th most expensive premiums in the US
The most recent statistics show that Rhode Island average premium costs are $2,020, which is considerably higher than the national average. These numbers will help you understand generally what kind of money you’ll be spending to insure your car. The best way to get an accurate idea of your investment in Rhode Island auto insurance is collecting several quotes from reputable insurers. Trusted Choice independent member agents can make that process quick and easy for you.
Rhode Island Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): not required
- Uninsured motorist: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/25
- Coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual, and $25,000 coverage for property damage.
- Instead of policy limits, policyholders can satisfy the requirement with a combined single limit policy. Amounts vary by state.
The state sets minimum required insurance for resident drivers. Penalties for driving without the required insurance include fines and license suspensions. Make sure you purchase the correct policy limits to meet Rhode Island law; your Trusted Choice member agent can help guide you through the state mandates.
Rhode Island Uninsured Motorists
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Rhode Island uninsured motorists: 17.0%
- Rhode Island average vehicle repair cost: $2,992
The number of Rhode Island motorists without insurance is above the national average. Uninsured drivers are still liable for accident damage, but it may take a long time to recover that money from individuals without an insurance company behind them. Uninsured motorist coverage can help pay for repairs right away if you are in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have adequate insurance.
Thefts in Rhode Island
- National car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Rhode Island car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 3.2
The Rhode Island auto theft rate is a little higher than the national average. Vehicle owners can protect their investment with a theft deterrent system and a good auto policy.
Rhode Island Auto Insurance Quotes Made Simple
If you need to buy Rhode Island car insurance, a local, independent Trusted Choice member agent will be happy to listen to your concerns, compare rates, and give you professional advice.
Finding and comparing auto policy rate quotes on your own can take a lot of time. An independent agent can help you find the best coverage at the most affordable price.