Charleston, also known as “The Holy City,” is full of historical sites the local residents enjoy. Some of the many landmarks include Fort Sumter, located on an island in Charleston Harbor; it saw the start of the Civil War. Others like to check out the history and adventure found at the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum. As a driver in this area, make sure you have the right Charleston, SC car insurance policy in place as you travel to these destinations, work, school, and shopping.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
South Carolina Car Insurance Requirements
The law in South Carolina requires that you carry certain minimum liability insurance coverage on your Charleston car insurance policy. Liability insurance provides you with insurance coverage should you cause an injury to another person or persons, or cause damage to someone else's property. The required liability coverages are as follows:
- Bodily injury liability: Required. Pays for injury/death to others resulting from an accident if you are legally responsible for the accident.
- Property damage liability: Required. Pays for damage to others' property resulting from an accident if you are legally responsible for the accident.
- Uninsured motorist: Not required.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Not required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/25
- $25,000 liability coverage for the injury of a single person
- $50,000 liability coverage for injuries to more than one person
- $25,000 liability coverage for property damage
There are stiff penalties for failure to carry the required coverage. First offenders face fines of $100 to $200 or up to 30 days in jail; subsequent offenses within five years incur fines of $200 and/or 30 days to 6 months in jail.
Additional Car Insurance Coverage Options
Aside from the required minimum liability coverage required, you should consider that the minimum liability insurance required might be insufficient to cover you if someone sues you. You should consider additional coverage as follows:
- Collision insurance: This insurance covers you for repairs or replacement of your vehicle, subject to depreciation.
- Comprehensive: This form of coverage pays for loss to your auto from a variety of named perils that might include loss or damage from risks such as a fire, theft, vandalism, wind damage and hail damage.
- Medical payments: This coverage pays additional medical expenses for injuries sustained in an accident.
South Carolina Uninsured Motorists
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- South Carolina uninsured motorists: 7.7%
- Average vehicle repair cost in South Carolina: $1,952
The number of uninsured drivers in South Carolina is considerably lower than the national figures but there is always a chance that an uninsured motorist will be at fault in an accident. Uninsured motorist coverage is not required in South Carolina, but you may want to consider getting that coverage. It can provide the extra security and peace of mind that comes from knowing damages will be covered if an at-fault driver does not have liability insurance or the money for compensation.
Car Thefts in South Carolina
- National vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- South Carolina vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 3.49
The car theft rate in South Carolina is higher than the national rate. However, a few common-sense precautions can decrease the risk. Always lock your car and park it in secure or well-lit areas whenever possible, and consider anti-theft devices and GPS. You can also protect your car from theft with a comprehensive auto policy, which will compensate you for the loss of this big investment.
South Carolina Car Insurance Costs
- National average annual premium: $1,311
- South Carolina average annual premium: $1,210
- 31s most expensive premium in the US
The actual amount you will pay for your Charleston car insurance premium will depend on several factors, which may include the following:
- Age of the drivers
- Make, model and age of the vehicle
- The deductible you carry
- The type of coverage you purchase and the amount of coverage
Car Insurance Discounts
There are a number of ways to save money on your car insurance policy through discounts. Insurers may offer the following discounts:
- Safe driver’s discount
- A discount if you bundle your car insurance with other policies you carry with the same insurance company
- A discount for signing on with a particular company
- A discount if you are a member of the military or a professional organization
Finding a Car Insurance Policy
The best approach to finding a competitive Charleston car insurance policy is to speak with a local independent insurance agent in our network, right in this area. Our member agents have access to many insurance carriers, so they can find the most competitive Charleston auto insurance policy and help you find the right policy for your needs and budget.
Contact a member agent today to get started with your quotes.