Car Insurance in Sioux Falls, SD
Experts break down auto insurance costs, coverages, companies, and more in Sioux Falls, SD.
From multi-vehicle crashes on Interstate 29 to fender-benders on Minnesota Avenue, even the most careful drivers can wind up in accidents. That is why if you own a vehicle in Sioux Falls, you are required to carry car insurance. A good policy can prevent a crash from causing you large financial losses.
Local independent agents are available to answer your coverage-related questions and to help you find a good policy at a competitive price. To learn more and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes, contact an independent insurance agent near you.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Sioux Falls, SD?
On average, drivers in South Dakota spend less on car insurance than the national average, and in Sioux Falls, costs tend to be even lower. This is great news for Sioux Falls residents who are looking for an affordable policy.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Average annual car insurance cost in South Dakota: $1,180
- Average annual car insurance cost in Sioux Falls: $991
Of course, an average rate can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Premiums can vary significantly from one driver to the next because insurance companies base their costs on several factors like:
- The year, make, model, and trim of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, driving record, and credit score
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability insurance you want to buy
- Which, if any, coverage options you want to include in your policy
- The amount of your deductible
If you purchase your car insurance from the same insurance company that provides some of your other policies, like home insurance or renters insurance, this is called a bundle. Bundling coverage often results in significant discounts.
Other discounts you may be entitled to include:
A good insurance agent will make sure that you receive any cost savings for which you may qualify.
Why Compare Car Insurance Quotes in Sioux Falls, SD?
Every insurance company has its own way of determining how much a policy will cost you. This means that if you request customized quotes from a few different insurance providers, you may find that some are far more affordable than others.
Independent insurance agents make it easy to obtain and compare car insurance rates so you can choose the policy that offers the best value.
Is Car Insurance Required in Sioux Falls, South Dakota?
As a vehicle owner in Sioux Falls, you are required to carry a policy that meets or exceeds South Dakota’s minimum coverage requirements. In this state, all car insurance policies must include the following types of coverage:
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s injuries and property damage if you cause a collision. In Sioux Falls, all car insurance policies must meet or exceed the following liability coverage amounts:
- $25,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $25,000 in property damage coverage per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance (UIM): This provides coverage for medical treatments needed by you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your policy must meet or exceed the following coverage amounts.
- $25,000 in UIM bodily injury coverage per person
- $50,000 in UIM bodily injury coverage per accident
If you want to have even more liability coverage than your car insurance can provide, you can supplement your policy with umbrella insurance. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your personal liability coverage.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Else Does Sioux Falls, SD Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance companies also offer a variety of coverage options.
- Collision and comprehensive coverages: These are not required by law, but they are typically required by lenders if you are financing your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Collision insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or lost due to a non-collision hazard like a windstorm or hail.
- Medical Payments: This can cover the cost of medical treatments and funeral costs if you or your passengers are injured or killed in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This can cover the cost of assistance if your vehicle is disabled, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Gap insurance: This is sometimes a good idea during the first year or two of new car ownership. It can bridge the gap between the amount you still owe for your car and its actual assessed value if the vehicle is totaled in a covered event.
- Rental car reimbursement coverage: This can cover the cost of a rental car while your own vehicle is being repaired following a covered event.
Reviewing the details and costs of all offered coverage options lets you best decide which options are a good value for you and your family.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Car Insurance in Sioux Falls, SD?
Driving without insurance in South Dakota is a Class 2 Misdemeanor. If caught, uninsured drivers can face penalties that include:
- A fine of $100, or 30 days in county jail, or both
- Suspension of their driver’s license for 30 days to one year
- A reinstatement fee of $50 to $200 to get their license back
- The requirement to maintain an SR-22 for 3 years
- Higher car insurance rates
Perhaps because of these tough penalties, South Dakota has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the country.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of South Dakota drivers who are uninsured: 7.7%
Because your car insurance policy includes uninsured motorist insurance, you can rest assured that if you are injured in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, you will have the coverage you need to pay for your medical costs.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Sioux Falls?
The auto theft rate in South Dakota is lower than the national average, but in Sioux Falls, the risk is higher. Residents of this city report around 550 auto thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 2.29
- South Dakota auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 1.73
- Sioux Falls auto theft rate per 1,000 people: 3.55
Be aware that you can only be reimbursed for a stolen car if your auto insurance policy includes comprehensive coverage. This insurance covers a wide range of non-collision loss and damage.
If you are leasing or financing your vehicle, you likely have comprehensive coverage already. If not, you may want to ask how much it would cost for you to add it to your Sioux Falls car insurance policy.
What Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in Sioux Falls, South Dakota?
The best car insurance companies in South Dakota and the ones that consistently provide their policyholders with responsive customer service, reliable coverage, and affordable rates.
Independent insurance agents have teamed up with some of the most outstanding insurance companies serving the Sioux Falls area. This lets you be certain that any policies your agent recommends to you are offered by companies you can trust.
How Can an Independent Agent Help Me Find the Best Car Insurance in Sioux Falls?
Independent agents make it easy to find the best and most affordable car insurance policy. These agents are available to explain your various coverage options, answer your coverage-related questions, and help you compare policies and rates from a variety of competing insurance providers.
It doesn’t cost anything to work with one of these experienced agents. Find an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.