Mercedes-Benz cars and SUVs are among the finest luxury vehicles on the road today. They offer performance, safety and reliability in one package.
If you are considering purchasing a Mercedes-Benz, you likely have a lot of questions about these cars ranging from safety and performance to insurance considerations. If you already own one, you may be wondering if you are paying too much for your Mercedes-Benz insurance.
Our independent agent matching tool will find you the best insurance solution in your area. Tell us what you're looking for and we'll recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will only be sent to the agent you pick.
Mercedes-Benz and Auto Theft
When you buy a Mercedes-Benz, you are making a large investment in your vehicle. You will want to be sure to protect your investment by including sufficient comprehensive coverage with your Mercedes-Benz insurance policy, so that if your car is stolen, vandalized or otherwise damaged while not on the road, you can receive compensation for your loss.
Unfortunately for owners of these luxury vehicles, Mercedes-Benz vehicles are frequently stolen. In fact, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, three Mercedes models made the list of most-frequently stolen vehicles in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
The C-Class vehicles topped these ratings. Protect your vehicle with anti-theft devices, and be sure to get a comprehensive Mercedes-Benz car insurance policy.
Mercedes-Benz Cares About Your Safety
Mercedes-Benz has a virtually untarnished reputation when it comes to safety and performance, and this works in your favor when it comes to insurance rates. All Mercedes-Benz vehicles currently in production come equipped with standard safety features such as anti-lock brakes, stability control, and front-impact airbags.
In addition to those common features, Mercedes has been developing many new safety innovations included on many of their new vehicles:
- PRE-SAFE®: This system, which is currently exclusive to Mercedes-Benz, uses a system of sensors to detect an oncoming collision. If it senses that an accident is imminent, it tightens front seatbelts, adjusts front head restraints, and closes windows to better protect the occupants of the vehicle.
- DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE Brakes: This system helps prevent accidents that are caused by driver distraction. It uses sensors to scan the traffic ahead and detects sudden stops or slowing traffic patterns. If an accident appears imminent, it activates up to 40% of the car’s braking power and audibly alerts the driver.
- ATTENTION ASSIST: This system can uses a series of calculations to detect if the driver is displaying signs of drowsiness. If so, it sounds a warning alarm to notify drivers of their drowsy condition so that they might pull over and take a rest.
- Active Blind Spot Assist: This prevents vehicles from being lost in your blind-spots by using sensors to detect when another vehicle is alongside yours. A red light appears on your side-view mirror to notify you of its presence.
- Active Lane Keeping Assist: A special camera in your car will keep track of the lines on the road. If the system senses that you are drifting out of your lane, it will notify you by vibrating the steering wheel. The car can even gently apply the brakes on one side of the vehicle to gently guide you back into the confines of your lane.
These safety features decrease your risk of an accident and insurance companies will take this into consideration when determining your insurance policy rates.
How Much Does Mercedes-Benz Car Insurance Cost?
Though high safety ratings prevent insurance rates for Mercedes-Benz vehicles from becoming too costly, they are still expensive vehicles to insure. This is partially because the high cost of the vehicles necessitates that you purchase high levels of comprehensive coverage in order to be fully insured.
There is also the issue of liability insurance. Most Mercedes-Benz owners have assets worth protecting. A liability lawsuit following a collision for which you are responsible can result in heavy losses if you do not have sufficient liability coverage.
For this reason, many Mercedes-Benz owners elect to purchase the highest level of liability coverage available.
Several Mercedes-Benz models made Forbes Magazine's recent list of the most expensive cars to insure. Average 2012 annual insurance costs for cars that made the list were:
- Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe: $5,532
- Mercedes-Benz CL600: $3,307
- Mercedes-Benz S600: $2,948
- Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG Coupe: $2,669
- Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG Coupe: $2,613
- Mercedes-Benz SL550 Convertible: $2,458
If you do not want to spend this much for full-coverage insurance for your vehicle, this may not be the right car for you. But the good news is that if you have a clean driving record and many years behind the wheel, your rates may be lower than average.
Comparing Mercedes-Benz Insurance Quotes
Mercedes-Benz vehicles are expensive to purchase, own and insure, but for many drivers, these high-quality, luxury vehicles are the perfect choice. Before purchasing one of these highly-rated vehicles, be sure to factor in the cost of insurance when determining how much owning a Mercedes-Benz will cost you.
If you already own a Mercedes-Benz, take a moment to review your current insurance policy to ensure that you are not overpaying for your coverage.
An independent insurance agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you determine whether you are protecting your assets with sufficient liability insurance, and can ensure that you are receiving your car insurance at the best rate. Contact a local independent agent now, and start comparing Mercedes-Benz car insurance quotes today.