Mercedes-Benz cars and SUVs are among the finest luxury vehicles on the road today. They offer performance, safety and reliability in one package. If you are considering purchasing a Mercedes-Benz, you likely have a lot of questions about these cars, ranging from safety and performance to car insurance considerations. If you already own one, you may be wondering if you are paying too much for your Mercedes-Benz insurance.
A local agent can help you compare policies from multiple insurance companies and can help you review coverage options and rates. Contact an insurance agent near you today for Mercedez-Benz car insurance quotes.
What Kind of Insurance Do You Need for Your Mercedez-Benz?
When it comes to a luxury vehicle like the Mercedez-Benz, you want to make sure you have top-notch coverage.
Most states have laws requiring the following coverage:
- Bodily injury liability: If you're in an accident that injures or kills another person, their medical bills and any lost wages will be covered up to your policy limits. It will not cover your personal injuries.
- Property damage liability: If you damage someone else's property with your Mercedez Benz, this policy provides reimbursement for that damage. This includes vehicles, buildings, homes, structures, and similar properties.
Many states also require this coverage:
- Medical payments/Personal injury protection (PIP): In the 14 no-fault states, you're required to have PIP insurance. If you or a passenger suffered injuries from an accident, PIP insurance will reimburse for medical expenses and lost wages.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage: Getting in an accident is stressful enough, but that stress increases if you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist as you'll be responsible for the damage to your Mercedez-Benz out of pocket unless you have uninsured motorist coverage.
- Collision coverage: This will repair or replace your Mercedez-Benz if there's an accident and you are at fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: Incidents like natural disasters, theft, storms, and other mishaps can cause damage to your vehicle. Comprehensive insurance protects you against these types of losses.
- Glass coverage: Replacing the windshield or other broken glass in your Mercedez-Benz can cost a pretty penny. With glass coverage, those costs could be 100% covered. Your agent can help you understand how glass coverage works.
- Gap insurance: This helps cover the difference between the amount you owe on your Mercedez-Benz and the amount the insurance company pays you if you're in an accident and your Benz is a total loss. The dealership will offer gap insurance when you purchase your vehicle, but if you pass it up you can work with your agent to add it to your policy.
Average Cost to Insure a Mercedez-Benz
That cost of car insurance premiums can vary greatly depending on selected coverage, age, driving record, etc. The average cost to insure your Mercedez-Benz per year sits around $1,862.
High-risk and teen drivers will pay significantly more. The average teen driver will pay $6,618 a year to insure a Mercedez-Benz and high-risk drivers will pay $4,042. If you have a clean record and are able to take advantage of discount options you could pay as little as $1,038.
Your insurance rates also depend on the Mercedez-Benz model you choose. More expensive vehicles have higher rates.
|Vehicle Model||Annual Premium|
|Mercedes-Benz CLA 250||$1,848|
|Mercedes-Benz CLS 550||$2,002|
|Mercedes-Benz GLA 250||$1,754|
|Mercedes-Benz GLC 300||$1,806|
|Mercedes-Benz GLE 350||$1,894|
|Mercedes-Benz GLS 450||$1,966|
|Mercedes-Benz SL 450||$2,026|
|Mercedes-Benz SLC 300||$1,846|
What Affects the Cost of Insurance for Your Mercedez-Benz?
Annual mileage: The more miles you put on your Mercedez-Benz the more it'll cost to insure. Frankly, the more often you drive, the greater risk you are for filing a claim with your insurance company.
Driving record: Lower insurance premiums coincide with violation-free records. If you have a history of traffic violations, your premium will reflect that.
The value of your car: One of the largest contributing factors to insurance premium prices is the cost of the vehicle. Replacing a Mercedez-Benz costs a lot more than replacing a Kia so you can expect your insurance premiums to be a little higher than the average vehicle. Purchasing an older model could bring your car insurance costs down a small amount and you'll have different rates based on the trim level of your Benz.
The safety of your Mercedez-Benz
Mercedes-Benz has a virtually untarnished reputation when it comes to safety and performance, and this works in your favor when it comes to insurance rates. All Mercedes-Benz vehicles currently in production come equipped with standard safety features such as anti-lock brakes, stability control, and front-impact airbags.
In addition to those common features, Mercedes has been developing many new safety innovations included on many of their new vehicles:
- PRE-SAFE®: This system, which is currently exclusive to Mercedes-Benz, uses a system of sensors to detect an oncoming collision. If it senses that an accident is imminent, it tightens front seatbelts, adjusts front head restraints, and closes windows to better protect the occupants of the vehicle.
- DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE Brakes: This system helps prevent accidents that are caused by driver distraction. It uses sensors to scan the traffic ahead and detects sudden stops or slowing traffic patterns. If an accident appears imminent, it activates up to 40% of the car’s braking power and audibly alerts the driver.
- ATTENTION ASSIST: This system can uses a series of calculations to detect if the driver is displaying signs of drowsiness. If so, it sounds a warning alarm to notify drivers of their drowsy condition so that they might pull over and take a rest.
- Active blind spot assist: This prevents vehicles from being lost in your blind-spots by using sensors to detect when another vehicle is alongside yours. A red light appears on your side-view mirror to notify you of its presence.
- Active lane keeping assist: A special camera in your car will keep track of the lines on the road. If the system senses that you are drifting out of your lane, it will notify you by vibrating the steering wheel. The car can even gently apply the brakes on one side of the vehicle to gently guide you back into the confines of your lane.
These safety features decrease your risk of an accident and insurance companies will take this into consideration when determining your insurance policy rates.
How Location Affects Your Mercedez-Benz
Where you live has a lot to do with how much you pay for car insurance. Living in a congested area of the country means you are statistically more likely to be in an accident. Some states have higher insurance rates overall as well.
|Most affordable states for Mercedez-Benz insurance|
|Most expensive states for Mercedez-Benz insurance|
Top Insurance Carriers That Insure the Mercedez-Benz
When choosing an insurance company, it's crucial to compare a number of options. You'll need a company that offers top-notch service, and has a reputation for being trustworthy and responsive.
The US Independent Insurance Agent Satisfaction Study by J.D. Power gave these companies excellent ratings:
Your agent may also suggest that you extend your search for an insurance company to those that specialize in luxury vehicle protection, like Chubb or PURE.
Comparing Mercedes-Benz Insurance Quotes
Mercedes-Benz vehicles are expensive to purchase, own, and insure, but for many drivers, these high-quality, luxury vehicles are the perfect choice. Before purchasing one of these highly rated vehicles, be sure to factor in the cost of insurance when determining how much owning a Mercedes-Benz will cost you.
If you already own a Mercedes-Benz, take a moment to review your current insurance policy to ensure that you are not overpaying for your coverage.
An independent insurance agent in the TrustedChoice.com network can help you determine whether you are protecting your assets with sufficient liability insurance, and can ensure that you are receiving your car insurance at the best rate. Contact a local independent agent now, and start comparing Mercedes-Benz car insurance quotes today.