Audi's reputation as a stand-out vehicle in the supercar category endures year after year. There are 50 models in production, and the R8 is a high-performing luxury vehicle that doesn't disappoint. If you want the best car insurance for your R8, you've come to the right place. An independent insurance agent can help you make the best choices to protect your vehicle.
If you are an R8 owner or you have one of these impressive machines on your short list, you'll want to understand how best to insure it, what factors affect your rates, and how you should go about getting solid advice from the experts.
Not sure where to start?
To use a good that will find you the best insurance solution in your area, check here find-an-agent tool to be matched with a local independent insurance agent who will help you find the best price on coverage for your R8.
What Kind of Insurance Do You Need for Your Audi R8?
There are a few insurance types you'll have to think about for your Audi R8. Some insurance coverages are required by your state's laws. Others are optional, but may provide you with valuable protection.
Most states mandate the following coverage:
- Bodily injury liability: If you get into an accident while driving your Audi R8 that causes injury to someone, bodily injury liability insurance could pay for their medical bills and lost wages. Without this coverage, you'll be liable for those costs anyway, and you may have to pay out of pocket. You'll need bodily injury liability in every state except New Hampshire and Florida.
- Property damage liability: While property damage liability won't pay for repair or replacement of your vehicle if you are in an accident, it pays for claims made by people who own a structure, building or vehicle that you damage.
Many states require this coverage:
- Medical payments/Personal injury protection: Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance is available in "no-fault" states. In other places, you can choose a medical payments policy. If the driver of your vehicle or their passengers are injured in an accident, PIP or medical payments insurance will pay for some or all of their medical needs, depending on your policy.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Unfortunately, you can't control whether other drivers on the road are properly insured. Without uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, you could have to pay for damage that would otherwise be the responsibility of the other party's insurance company.
- Collision insurance: If you own your Audi R8 without an outstanding loan or lease, collision insurance is optional. With this type of insurance, damage to your vehicle is covered if you get into an accident. Collision insurance doesn't cover damage done to someone else's property, however.
- Comprehensive coverage: If your car sustains damage that is outside your control, like a large number of small dents from a hailstorm or a falling tree that lands on your car, comprehensive insurance will pay for damage. You'll have to pay the deductible, but that's a better deal than trying to repair major damage on your own. Your R8's carbon fiber side blades alone cost $2,600 to replace.
- Glass coverage: Choose glass coverage as an add-on to your car insurance policy and get your windshield repaired or replaced at no charge with a zero-deductible plan. A typical windshield replacement on an R8 costs about $1,300.
- Gap insurance: If you owe more on your R8 than it’s worth, gap insurance helps pay off your loan or lease after an accident if the vehicle is a total loss.
What Affects the Cost of Insurance for Your Audi R8?
Like all auto insurance policies, your age, driving record, and location have a big impact on your premiums. Since the Audi R8 is a high-value vehicle, your insurance company will be particularly interested in its retail price.
Average Cost of an Audi R8 Insurance Policy
On average, it costs $2,584 to insure an Audi R8 each year with full coverage. That breaks down to $215 per month. A high-risk driver could pay an average of $5,466 per year for the same policy.
The Safety of Your Audi R8
The safety of your vehicle affects your insurance premiums. Safer vehicles tend to have a history of smaller and fewer claims. You won't find crash-test ratings, because the IIHS and NHTSA don't destroy vehicles as expensive as the R8.
The Audi R8 isn't necessarily dangerous, but it's a two-seater with an engine that has a lot of the same parts as the Lamborghini Gallardo. Post-2017 R8 models are lighter and faster than earlier models, and they have a 5.2-liter V-10 engine with more power than most mid-sized and full-sized vehicles on the road today.
How Location Affects Your Audi R8
If you drive your R8 in a major city, you'll pay higher rates than if you live in a rural area. In a more populated area, there's a greater chance of theft and accidents.
Average Cost to Insure an Audi R8
Your car insurance rates vary according to the amount of insurance and extra coverages you choose. If you have an at-fault accident or multiple driving violations, or are insuring a teen driver, your rates will be much higher.
|Yearly policy premiums by risk and coverage for an average 40-year-old R8 driver with a $500 deductible:|
|High-risk driver with full coverage:||$5,466|
Yearly policy premiums for an average 16-year-old Audi R8 driver are $8,758 per year.
The Audi R8 is a more expensive car to insure due to its performance level and liability rating.
|Top three most expensive to insure performance vehicles:|
|Porsche 911 Turbo||$2,432|
Your insurance rates for an Audi R8 also have a lot to do with where you live.
|Three least expensive states to |
buy Audi R8 insurance:
|Three most expensive states to |
buy Audi R8 insurance:
Top Insurance Carriers That Insure the Audi R8
Unfortunately not all insurance companies consistently provide the service and coverage you need most for your Audi R8. Your independent insurance agent can help you find one that has a reputation for taking good care of their customers. The U.S. Independent Insurance Agent Satisfaction Study by J.D. Power ranked these companies among the best in the world of auto insurance:
An independent insurance agent can help you understand if a high net worth (HNW) insurance company like PURE or Chubb would be a good fit.
Get an Audi R8 Car Insurance Quote
Reach out to an independent insurance agent today to get an Audi R8 insurance quote. These agents have the ability to shop dozens of insurance companies, so you'll get fast access to the most affordable and comprehensive auto insurance.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Greg Safford
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.