The Toyota Tacoma is a top-ranking compact pick-up truck known for its off-road abilities and modern safety and technology connectivity features. When it comes to pick-up trucks it also can be pretty affordable, which means consumers who are looking for a powerful vehicle with a decent priced insurance tag should consider this truck.
What Kind of Insurance Do You Need for Your Toyota Tacoma?
Insurance is designed to protect yourself and your vehicle from a variety of risks and perils. Whether you cause an accident, are hit by someone else, or fall victim to mother nature, there's an insurance policy for any potential loss you and your vehicle might encounter.
Some insurance options, like liability insurance, are mandated by states with required purchasing amounts. Other coverages are optional but should be considered by every driver.
- Bodily injury liability: Pays for any injuries or costs related to the death of a third-party that is caused in an accident where you are driving.
- Property damage liability: Pays for any damage to a third-party's property or vehicle caused by you in an accident or other incident. For example, sliding in the snow and running over a sculpture in someone's yard.
It's possible that your states' required minimum for liability insurance is not enough to protect you if you experience an incident. Make sure to speak with your independent insurance agent to understand how much liability insurance you need to be fully protected.
The following policies may also be required in some states:
- Medical payments/Personal injury protection: Pays any medical bills or lost wages if you or your passenger is injured during an accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: One of the worst situations you can find yourself in is an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage protects you when another driver causes an accident but fails to carry adequate coverage.
Other coverages to consider:
- Collision insurance: If you collide with another vehicle or an object (other than an animal), then collision insurance will cover the claim.
- Comprehensive insurance: There are lots of things that can go wrong with a vehicle outside of colliding with things. Comprehensive coverage is there to protect you against everything that collision insurance doesn't cover. This includes theft, natural disasters, storms, and other mishaps like colliding with an animal.
- Glass coverage: A newer Tacoma will be equipped with Toyota Safety Sense™, Toyota’s advanced driver assistance system which requires a special windshield replacement that is calibrated with the car components. As you can imagine, this can get expensive, and glass coverage is a no-deductible coverage that can help pay for these repairs.
- Gap insurance: If you find yourself owing more for your car than it's worth, consider purchasing gap insurance. This will pay the difference that you owe on your vehicle if you get into an accident and the car is deemed a total loss.
What Affects the Cost of Insurance for Your Toyota Tacoma?
Your annual mileage
If you use your truck as your everyday driver you'll likely pay more in insurance than if it's a part-time toy hauler. The more miles you put on a vehicle the higher your chance of being in an accident so your premiums will reflect that.
Your driving record
A good driving record tells your insurance company that you're a safe driver. Fortunately, many violations can be dropped off a record with Drivers Ed or naturally after a certain amount of time.
The value of your car
The more your car is worth the more an insurance company has to pay to replace it. This is why newer vehicles usually cost more to insure than older vehicle models. Fortunately, the Toyota Tacoma can be affordable depending on the model and features you choose.
|Average cost range of a Toyota Tacoma|
|2020||$26,050 - $46,665|
|2019||$27,600 - $46,525|
|2018||$25,900 - $44,275|
|2017||$23,650 - $42,850|
Safety of your Toyota Tacoma
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) gave the Toyota Tacoma "good" ratings across the board in crash tests, which is the institute's highest rating designation. In addition, the National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) gave the Tacoma four-out-of-five stars in an overall crash test and five-out-of-five in an overall side crash test. The vehicle's decent safety ratings would flag it as a safer car to insure and help your lower your premium.
Your car's location
Did you know that where you live could affect the cost of your car insurance? Drivers who reside in bigger cities with more traffic have a higher chance of getting in an accident.
Additional factors that affect your Toyota Tacoma insurance premiums
In addition to the above factors, the following will also be taken into consideration when setting your car insurance premium.
- Safety features like anti-theft devices
- Your age
- Your gender
- The deductibles you choose
- Your credit rating
What is the Average Cost to Insure a Toyota Tacoma?
|Average annual cost to insure a Toyota Tacoma||$1,338|
Which states are most affordable and least affordable for car insurance?
Estimated annual car insurance premiums in the United States:
|Most expensive states:|
|Most affordable states:|
Top Insurance Carriers That Insure the Toyota Tacoma
According to the Insurance Information Institute, the companies that offer the best car insurance for a Toyota Tacoma are the ones with the highest market share. This includes:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- All State
Get a Toyota Tacoma Quote
Reach out to an independent agent today to get a quote for insurance on your Toyota Tacoma. An independent insurance agent has the ability to shop dozens of insurance companies, ultimately providing you with the most affordable and comprehensive auto insurance.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.
ConsumerReport; QuoteComparison; IIHS